artsd and 2.6 kernel

David A Iacobellis dave at iacobellis.org
Fri Jan 30 13:08:32 GMT 2004

I am running kde 3.1.5 on suse 8.2 with a sblive card.  All sound was working
fine with the suse 2.4.20 kernel.  I recently upgraded to the 2.6.1 kernel.
Now I have no system or konqueror sounds.  All other sounds, kwintv, kradio,
kscd, all of the games I have tried, and kmix work fine.  Artsd is running
and I have not found any errors in the logs.  All of the obvious things such
as volumes and mutes have been checked.  For alsa I upgraded alsa-libs,
tools, and utils to 1.0.1 and patched the 2.6.1 kernel with the 2004-01-20
patch.  The 2.6.1 kernel has basic alsa sound support compiled into the
kernel and everything else is compiled as modules.  Yast2 will not configure
the sound card even though it detects it so I configured the card using
alsaconfig.  lsmod shows all sound modules as being loaded.  Does anybody
have any idea why I have no system or konqueror sounds.

Thanks,

Dave