Some ideas for the aRts-replacement

Jorge j.windmeisser at elogix.info
Fri Feb 20 01:21:35 GMT 2004

Hi all, I'm watching with great interest your discussion and since I'm
programming a VoIP client for KDE and need sound capabilities, I've decided
to give my 2 cents.

From a developer's view that just wants to play sound to the soundcard and
retrieve sound from the microphone.

I would need something like:

open a soundDevice class that is valid for the whole session and the whole
program

init the interface with the bitrate, depth, channels and sound format (wav,
mulaw, alaw, etc...)

read and write from/to the interface triggered with signals

something like a socket, but in this case it references the soundcard

setting the volume, play files, etc...

And the most important thing, a good documentation...

aRts is poorly documented, with the exception of the C API, and it only
understands WAV, since I have to read from the ISDN card and it only delivers
muLaw or aLaw I have to convert, re-convert, back-convert, up-convert...

a nightmare

Greets Jorge Windmeisser

--
eLogix