Some ideas for the aRts-replacement (was: aRts needs to be replaced (was Re: Disabling aRts in knotify))

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 20:28:34 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 20:45, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Hmm. I see three distinct tasks with three different quality goals for a
> soundserver:
> 1. Play Event Sound
> The most important issue is to start playing the event-sound as quickly as
> possible, to give the user better feedback.

Opening /dev/dsp and feeding the data into it should be fast enough, no ?

> 2. Play Music
> The most important issue is to ensure good quality with absolutly no
> stutter, which can mean more buffering than above.

Where is the problem for /dev/dsp ?

> 3. Play Movie-soundtrack
> The most important issue is to keep in sync with the video stream at all
> costs.

I really doubt that we can do this. The video app has to care for this,
really.

When using another backend than OSS or ALSA, of course the implementation of
this backend has to care about these buffering issues, but we only have to
interface to it and use it.

Bye
Alex