All apps using arts libs crash

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sat Aug 28 16:37:15 BST 2004

Hi!
  I'm asking there for a help with the following problem:
  For a long time, all the applications capable of output via artsd (like
mplayer, xmms, SDL-based apps etc.) crash (SIGSEGV) when they are trying
to use it. I waited until 3.3.0 but no change in it, it's the same.
  For example, mplayer writes the following:
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: ao2_init
  and terminates. artsd itself is totally unaffected and continues to
work (i.e. when it just plays something from i.e. noatun it even doesn't
interrupt the sound).
  All this (all the system including kernel and glibc, KDE, and mentioned
applications) is compiled on the same system from vanilla sources so it
should be perfectly compatible.
  Does anybody experience this too and does eventually have a clue, what
to do to solve it ?
                                       With regards, Pavel Troller