[mas-devel] Comparison: MAS, GStreamer, NMM

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Thu Aug 26 19:05:13 BST 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 14:49, Marco Lohse wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> from the feedback we got at the KDE conference I think one important
> thing for KDE multimedia developers (as well as for other multimedia
> developers) would be to have some comparison between MAS, GStreamer,
> and NMM.
>
> We would like to start this comparison with a look at two things:
>
> (1) the programming models (i.e. what code you have to write down to
> achieve certain things) and
> (2) the APIs provided by the different frameworks (in correspondance
> to Matthias Ettrich's statement "the API is to the programmer what a
> GUI is to the end user").

I can't help noticing that, as usual, portability seems to be of no concern.
From the three software packages compared here, only gstreamer seems to make
an actual effort to run on platforms != Linux (it's the only one ported to
FreeBSD as of now, too). MAS at least states they want to be portable
(non-Linux development seems to be essentially not happening though) and NMM
is clearly focused on Linux.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org