kdebase/kcontrol/kdemm (silent)

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu Aug 26 15:26:31 BST 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 02:16, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 0:44, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> > What sense does it make to implement plugable backends at all when you
> > can't switch them?
>
> I think the question is backwards -- what does it help to be able to switch
> them?  For making things configurable you have to answer "why?" not "why
> not?"

Why it's usefull:
- If in KDE4 we default to something different than aRts users need to be able
to switch back to aRts if they use old apps that still depend on aRts
directly.
- If the user has problems with is media output not working because the
combination of the backend with his hardware just doesn't want to do what
it's supposed to (which happend with aRts - even though I don't understand
why, so I'd think it could happen for other frameworks as well) he has a
chance to switch to something else that might work.
- If the featuresets of the backends differ the user might want to switch
because he needs that one feature that the default backend doesn't provide.

> One thing that I just talked to Allan about -- and I think would probably
> be a reasonable compromise -- how about not showing this thing when there's
> only one backend installed?  The happy middle ground?

Yes, of course. We should do that. But: The backends often need to be
configured as well. Like if you have the aRts backend you need the arts kcm.
So it's more about hiding just one part of the dialog

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de