Programming with arts

Jorge j.windmeisser at elogix.info
Mon Sep 15 17:27:07 BST 2003

Am Montag, 15. September 2003 09.17 schrieb Arnold Krille:
> On Sunday 14 September 2003 22:24, Jorge wrote:
> > >
> > > \me thinks we are the ones who talked at linuxtag...
> >
> > Hi Arnold, I'm afraid that you're confusing me with someone else, I've
> > never been to linuxtag.
>
> okay...
>
> > > If the output you can give is wav (or something similar) you could use
> > > artscat instead of writing an own one. If your programm is using kde,
> > > you could use the (new) class KAudioPlayStream. Unfortunatly it does
> > > only support polling so you have to build your own queue (You will see
> > > what I mean if you look at the code;-) ).
> >
> > That sounds horribly complicated! ;) Isn't there something easier?
>
> I hoped to make it easy be creating this class... :-(

Well, for me ;)

> > Now I've implemented a "call init xxxxxx" command to initiate an audio
> > call. The client sends the command to isdnserver, isdnserver detaches a
> > thread which connects and configures a ttyIx device. When the other side
> > answers the isdnserver thread begins to send the ttyIx audio data to a
> > port so that the client can retrieve it and then play it over the sound
> > card.
> >
> > I don't need any fancy stuff, I only want to playback the served audio
> > data. That data is delivered in the uLaw format, for now. Further I also
> > need an input, so that you can speak through a microphone. Then the
> > client delivers the data to isdnserver thread and this thread writes it
> > to the ttyIx device.
>
> Then you definitly need KAudioPlayStream and KAudioRecordStream.
>
> For an example of there usage look at krec (in kdemultimedia). But please
> take the cvs-head version since KAudioPlayStream is only some weeks old...

How can I get the sources? I've never heard of the "cvs-head". Do I have
to convert the uLaw data to something else in order to play it back? If yes, how
do I do that?

I would like to use arts since it seems to be the default sound system for KDE, and
since kisdnmonitor is a KDE app the choice seems obvious. But, at least for me
it sounds complicated, I'm trying to figure out how to do it since two weeks, without
success, It's kind of frustrating.

Jorge