XDMCP, KDE and artsd

Lars Bungum lars.bungum at copyleft.no
Fri Nov 21 17:43:26 GMT 2003

[ To and fro about artsd ]
--------------
> ------------------------------
> ARTSDSERVER=$(echo $DISPLAY | sed 's/:.*//')
> [ -n "$ARTSDSERVER" ] && ARTSDSERVER="rsh $ARTSDSERVER"
> $ARTSDSERVER artsd-init stop
> unset ARTSDSERVER
> -------------------------------

I'm using "export ARTS_SERVER=$(echo ${DISPLAY%%:*}:53276)" (53276 is
port) in /etc/profile. This way the ARTS_SERVER variable is set
correctly for each user, independent from which machine he logs in.

It works perfectly  with using "-u"-option on client.

On the client I run "artswrapper -n -p53276 -u -N -w16 -atoss
-D/dev/dsp". This works fine, but anyone can send sound to the terminal
(and maybe using this to become root on the terminal, but it's no
problem if the terminal file-system is read-only).

I haven't played with authentification, yet, but as I understood you
have to set the ARTS_SERVER-variable, export the home-directories to the
client (for having the KDE authentification-stuff available on the
terminal) and run as the appropriate user on the terminal (means you
need NIS).

Then you can start ARTS with the rights of that user.

P.S.: The ML is quite dead ... And I think I've read authentification
has been introduce with KDE 3.x ...
------------

Greetings!

It with great interest I read your discussion about outputting sound locally on a machine
connecting to an X server.  This is my exact configuration.  I have a local
client with which I'm able to output sound with ogg123 and mpg321, but I would
like to make my KDE session on the central server access this soundcard in
order to use the remarkably nice features of konqueror/kaboodle integration.

I tried to follow John's steps closely, but my artds wouldn't accept the
line in /etc/.mcoprc.  To be quite honest, I don't really know what I am doing here,
and since you seem to indicate that there has been work put in approaching
KDE 3.1, Rene, I ask quite openly - what is the best means for me to  solve
this task?  That is getting sound in my KDE session from the machine
I netboot and acquire a xmdcp session.

--
Mvh.
Lars Bungum                            <lb at cl.no> <OpenPGP: E2C5C0A2>