Sharing artsd between two concurrent X sessions?

Helen Kroupenkin annalipa at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 19:54:10 BST 2003

Is there a way to share artsd between two concurrent X
sessions? When am running two X sessions as two
different users concurrently ( startx and startx -- :1
)  artsd starts successfully only during the first
initialized session. At the start of the second
session artsd complains that it can't open /dev/dsp,
even if the first instance of artsd is already
suspended at the first session. However, if I run two
X sessions concurrently as the same user, everything
works just fine. I am running RedHat 9 and KDE 3.1.1
binaries from KDE for RedHat project
(http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/). Any help is
greatly appreciated.