MAS in KDE

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 5 00:07:26 GMT 2003

Stefan Westerfeld <stefan at space.twc.de> wrote:
> To ensure interoperability between these (and further developments in the
> area), one strategy that looked very promising is to use CSL as common
> interoperbility standard between KDE and Gnome. This will not only instantly

CSL is a wrapper around a wrapper (aRts or MAS or SDL) to the sound
driver.

CSL is in C, so KDE will need yet another wrapper to wrap it.  (On the
other hand if you wrote it in C++, maybe you could easily export a C
API at the same time)

Isn't this too much?  Aren't any time benefits with MAS going to get
killed with all these wrappers?  Is it really that hard to pick one
good future media/audio server strategy and commit to it? :-)

Apologies if I misunderstood anything or if I'm repeating something
already said.

Cheers,
Navin.