Playing .ogg files

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Sun Mar 2 23:45:41 GMT 2003

   Hi!

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 07:22:45PM +0100, Andreas Beckermann wrote:
> Nice discussions around here currently - sometimes even useful ones ;)
> So here one thing from Stefan in "Re: Questions about arts (mostly to be used
> in docs)". He/You said that Arts::Synth_PLAY_WAV is cachable, whereas
> Playobjects are not.
> Well, most of the sound code from my game is more or less copied from
> different KDE apps (lacking any documentation in arts), so I am of course
> using playobjects. But - as said - I am writing a game, so I need them to be
> cachable at any cost (we are one step away from disabling sound for release,
> because it makes the game unplayable).
>
> So what should I use to play .ogg files? Any code snippets around?

The sad truth is that you can't play .ogg and getting caching files without
changing aRts. There are three options:

 - work on code in the CVS to get caching .ogg files in the next release
   (KDE3.2, arts-1.2.0)
 - write your own module that plays .ogg files and does caching (this is not
   too hard using DataHandles, I can give you detailed instructions if you
   want to) ; however you then depend on APIs that are not frozen, that is,
   GSL APIs ; this can be loaded into the server
 - do _not_ use .ogg files but .wav files ; I know that this sounds suboptimal,
   but at least then you get caching

Hope this helps.

   Cu... Stefan
--