Sound System Control Center Module (was Re: Konqueror security settings)

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jul 1 19:47:10 BST 2003

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 17:49, Henrique Bruno Mariano Pinto wrote:
> Arnold Krille writes:
> > This can not be guessed. (only to no autosuspend since aRts doesn't want
> > other apps blocking its beloved /dev/dsp ;-) )
> > It depends strongly on the preferences the user has, how much he switches
> > between different audio apps using different io-methods.
> > I am using 5 seconds time for example which is imho enough for stopping
> > noatun and starting mplayer (using oss). But on slower pc's one might do
> > not want to let aRts give away /dev/dsp if only idle for some seconds...
> Is there a way to configure tthe system in suuch a way that it would be
> like every non-aRTs program had artsdsp at it command line (maybe by
> wrapping /dev/dsp)? That would eliminate the need for disabling aRTs and
> make this setting an Advanced one.

This would require to manipulate the kernel while aRts is running...

> > Please keep in mind that aRts(-settings) and KMix are different things.
> > The first controls artsd, the later just controls the hardware through
> > oss/alsa. Most normal users mix this, we should make the
> > configure-dialogs in a way the users do notice the separation.
> Or we should make the KDE CC ignore the differences and do what users want
> it tt do...

Then we have user complaining "My soundcard doesn't work. aRts is sh..." but
instead they didn't have there faders (hardware) up.

So _please_ do not mix hardware and software!!! KMix is hardware and aRts is
software. Its even possible to run aRts without a soundcard. (hint:
network;-)

> > My proposal: One tab for all aRts-settings (including a button "Advanced
> > Settings" which shows a dialog) and other tabs for Mixer, MIDI and other
> > things...
> > But if the hierarchy stays "Sound & Multimedia"/"Sound System" you could
> > include all the other sound-related settings ("System Bell","System
> > Notification",...) as tabs as well, so perhaps there should be different
> > modules for "aRts", "Mixer", "MIDI" and so on...
> Doesn't 'multimedia' included 'sound'? I never understood the "Sound &
> Multimedia"...

Yes, Multimedia includes Sound. This should be renamed.

> By the way, is it aRts or aRTs?

According to www.arts-project.org its aRts.

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---