xine_artsplugin - again :-/

Ewald Snel ewald at rambo.its.tudelft.nl
Tue Jan 28 08:25:26 GMT 2003

Hi Neil,

[...]

> > I am just wondering, am I the only one (and my friends :-) experiencing
> > severe problems with xine_artsplugin and thumbnails?
>
> Yes, there is a bug report about it filed.
>
> I suppose that if nobody steps up to fix it, we can and should disable
> video thumbnail generation for KDE 3.1.1.

Using xine 1.0.0 might be a better solution. The new API has support for
xine_get_next_video_frame(), which is much more reliable than the
xine_get_current_frame(). The old (KDE 3.1) and new version of the xine aRts
plugin could be integrated using some #ifdef's for xine 0.9.13 or 1.0.0.

Video thumbnail generation can then be disabled for older version of xine
(pre-1.0.0), but it will still work with 1.0.0. It should also be much faster
(no 1sec. delay, as it is now).

> Konqueror guys:  Is xine_artsplugin the only video thumbnail generator in
> KDE 3.1?

Yes it is, there is no other Arts::VideoPlayObject implementation for KDE that
I know of.

> - --
> Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com

bye,