networking arts outwith X

Matthias Kretz MatthiasKretz at gmx.net
Fri Jan 10 20:29:30 GMT 2003

A few ideas/wishes what I'd like to have:

- - An easy way to connect two (or more) artsd on the localhost. It would
probably be enough to tell artsd to let everybody create a Connection who's
using the loopback device (authentication could be optional then). You could
use this to forward the artsd's port over ssh to another computer...

- - Ideally there would be (at least) two different stages of authentication:
1. authenticated to cascade (send and receive audio streams)
2. authenticated to use the whole of MCOP (creating and calling remote
objects)

- - A way for the average user to create such a connection: Open up artscontrol
and select "cascade to remote aRts SoundServer", input the hostname/ip and
portnumber and a password(?). Then the remote artsd appears as an input and
and output bus (using the cascading auth from above).
For all those users of the shell, artsshell could create such a connection,
too.

On Thursday 09 January 2003 23:45, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> If somebody is interested in looking at it, I can provide a patch.

I'm interested, yes.

> While this means that on NFS mounted homes (which quite some people use),
> the cookie will be automatically kept in sync, it also means that on NFS
> mounted homes, it will be transferred as plain-text over the local network.
> There, again, is a security vs. usability tradeoff to be made, but I think
> the new way is better than the old (as the old is absolutely unusable).

Yes, that would help some, but still not for me - I want to "cascade" over the
internet to the artsd of my sister :-)
We'd need to have the same cookie then, meaning she could (very theoretically)
control my whole artsd - something my paranoia doesn't allow me ;-).

> The code for doing so should also be folded into CSL. Then, using the CSL
> aRts driver (and compiling arts with --enable-csl) will allow cascading.
> Other apps that can use CSL will also be able to do authenticated
> cascading, then, which until now has not been possible due to the cookie
> problem.

I still don't fully understand how CSL works (I know what it's for and that
it's good and all that ;-) ). Where do you develop CSL? And is there any more
information then the code? (Hmm, didn't take a look at the aRts hp for too
long - last time it was down.)

- --
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias Kretz (Germany)                          <><
http://Vir.homeip.net/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de