aRts vs JACK

Jozef Kosoru zyzstar at uid0.sk
Mon Feb 24 09:34:27 GMT 2003

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:09:24PM +0100, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:41:33PM +0100, Jozef Kosoru wrote:

> > > So when do you start?
> > >

> > ASAP - but I have to make a decision:
> >  - JACK output plugin for aRts
> >           or
> >  - CLS layer for JACK
> >
> > Is CSL going to be the real future?
>
> Write a CSL driver for JACK, if you ask me. Thats what I recommend w.r.t. MAS
> as well.

Well, I've looked a bit at the ALSA JACK pcm_plugin and it seems to be the
brilliant solution for the 'aRts vs JACK' problem. It allows
non-realtime clients to use JACK as a backend. This is far better and
more complex solution than JACK output plugin for aRts or CLS layer,
because it covers OSS apps and ALSA apps as well.

--
jozef kosoru [zyzstar] <zyzstar at uid0.sk>