aRts vs JACK

Jozef Kosoru zyzstar at uid0.sk
Fri Feb 21 21:54:56 GMT 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:38:36PM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:

> > > Yes, KDE has to force its users to use certain libraries and services.
> > >  We force X, we force Qt, we force unix, we force C++.  Forcing one
> > > more thing doens't hurt.  We don't force you to run aRts after all..
> > > we only force you to use it if you want audio.
> >
> > OK, I want to use audio - therefore I'm forced to use aRts - but what
> > can I do if aRts does not fulfil my requirements? It is not designed for
> > the professional audio.
>
> If your sound card doesn't support multiple aps accessing the device, then
> simply suspend artsd for the duration of your work using jack or whatever.
>
> The suspend button is accessable in the arts control app.  Auto-suspend
> functionality is also available.

It isn't an user friendly. I've made some JACK applications and always
get mails from the users that my app does not work because aRts blocks
the dsp device all the time. Do you understand where's the problem?
Can you imagine the same problem on Windows?
  "Dear user - if you want to use our product - go to control panel and
  disable the windows system audio. Then run our application. If you
  finish, go to control panel and enable the audio option again." :))))

--
jozef kosoru [zyzstar] <zyzstar at uid0.sk>