aRts vs JACK

Jozef Kosoru zyzstar at uid0.sk
Fri Feb 21 21:01:15 GMT 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:34:00PM +0100, Matthias Kretz wrote:

> On Friday 21 February 2003 21:22, Jozef Kosoru wrote:
> > > Why would we assume that aRts is going be replaced for KDE 4?
> >
> > Ok, replacement is not possible but I would vote for cutting the aRts
> > sources to the minimum.
>
> Actually the idea is to port everything to CSL for KDE 4 (as far as that is
> possible). See attached README for some information on CSL.
>
> Ideally KDE should be able to use any soundserver...

I don't think that this will help to solve the 'aRts vs JACK' problem.

1) JACK is low-latency sound server with callback-driven API - CSL
probably not.

2) It adds one more layer to every aRts-aware application.

see:

	application

	 +->CSL

		 +->aRts

			 +->JACK

				 +->sound card

One must understand that any serious audio application will never use this
scheme. This is just another overdesigned idea. Do we really need COBRA
based CSL for playing xmms and kaboodie?

--
jozef kosoru [zyzstar] <zyzstar at uid0.sk>