aRts vs JACK

Eray Ozkural exa at ttnet.net.tr
Fri Feb 21 20:53:03 GMT 2003

On Friday 21 February 2003 22:22, Jozef Kosoru wrote:
> ...but my opinion is still same: aRts is overdesigned, too slow,
> unnecessary complex and has an unacceptable latency even on fast CPUs.

I agree.

> Ok, replacement is not possible but I would vote for cutting the aRts
> sources to the minimum. How many KDE users will ever need aRts builder and
> all those things? Is there any logic to have a realtime sythesizer as a
> default sound server in the desktop enviroment?

It's not logical.

The synthesizers that could be designed in arts are not wholly useful either.
Synthesizer is something that is geared towards music production and I don't
think the server is where that kind of code ought to be located. As a long
time user of various music programs on windows, I would welcome an
achievement like buzz tracker or reason on windows platform but arts speaks
only overhead to me.

Even a sound-server isn't needed on decent hardware/driver combinations...

Regards,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza