aRts vs JACK

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Feb 21 20:34:00 GMT 2003

CSL - Common Sound Layer

CSL is a plain C implementation without further dependancies, that provides
a common API for handling sound I/O.
It is intended to supply application programmers with a convenient way to
produce/record sound and configure sound ouptut modalities regardless of the
actuall backend being used.

Quick instructions to get the aRts driver of CSL working with artsd are given
in the file HOWTO-remote-artsd.

A brief introduction of how CSL fits into the current GNOME architecture can be
found at:

	http://www.gtk.org/~timj/guadec-csl-2001

	Tim Janik <timj at gtk.org>
	Stefan Westerfeld <stefan at space.twc.de>