KMix not working when logged in as normal user

Elias Gerber egerber at gmx.net
Sun Feb 9 13:06:42 GMT 2003

Hello everybody.

I just installed my soundcard and as long as I'm logged in as root
everything's working perfectly, also KMix.
But when I'm logged in as a normal user and start KMix, the programm starts,
gives no errors, but there is just the titlebar and the menue (File,
Settings, Help). Below, there where usually the volume sliders are, is just a
grey panel - nothing's in it.
I first thought that this might be because only root had read and write access
to /dev/mixer, /dev/mixer1, /dev/mixer2, /dev/mixer3, so I changed the rights
of all those to 666. Now it looks like this:

	p3800:/dev# ls -l *mixer*
	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   0 Mar 14  2002 mixer
	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,  16 Mar 14  2002 mixer1
	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,  32 Mar 14  2002 mixer2
	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,  48 Mar 14  2002 mixer3

but this changed nothing, it is still not working (but when I'm logged in as
root it is working perfectly!). Has someone an idea how to fix that?
I'm using Debian Woody with a 2.4-kernel and KDE 3.1

thanks for your help,

Elias

--
Elias Gerber