Proposal for KDE media interface

Tim Jansen ml at tjansen.de
Wed Aug 6 18:04:16 BST 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 16:29, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 7:26, Morten Hustveit wrote:
> > Since Flash is interactive, I don't think it fits into a framwork even
> > remotely like this.  Its functionality is more similar to that of KSVG,
> > and should have (roughly) the same interface.
> Flash is exactly like DVD, and we want DVD-support in our framework...

I don't think so. If you write something that plays DVDs you probably want to
use all capabilities of a DVD (subtitles, multi-angle, selecting audio
streams etc) and also all capabilities of the framework/backend
(de-interlacing and similar filters, an equalizer etc). You won't be able to
wrap this into a simple API, and I don't think that there would be a sane way
to do this without becoming backend-dependent. Actually I think that complex,
interactive formats like DVD VOBs, Flash and interactive MPEG4 always need
specialized code in the player.

For simple playback of a video, for example in a game, a help video or some
edu app the API would be enough.

bye...