Proposal for KDE media interface

Morten Hustveit morten at debian.org
Tue Aug 5 23:00:34 BST 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 23:10, Neil Stevens wrote:
> I suggest you wait until the KDE 4 run up begins, when we decide what media
> system to use.

One purpose of this API is to make this the user's decision.  Also, I don't
see why we should wait until the next major release, as adding a new
interface does not break binary compatibility.

> Arts and our supporting libraries (libartskde, KMediaPlayer) are not going
> anywhere, so there's no sense in duplicating them right now.

I'm not suggesting to make aRts vanish; I'm suggesting to deprecate its use.
New KDE applications will use the new interface, old applications will be
ported whenever the maintainers feel like it, and by KDE 4.0 the aRts
dependency will be removed.  KMediaPlayer would obviously simply be ported to
use the new interface rather than aRts directly.  The sense lies in
preventing new applications from using a soon-to-be-deprecated interface
(aRts).  Not having a documented interface probably also hurts development.
Also, people can start using alternative backends /now/ (in the applications
supporting this), rather than waiting for KDE 4, at the small cost of a
slightly increased library size.

Please don't arbitrarily send carbon copies.