KMix / aRTs question

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Thu Apr 24 23:24:00 BST 2003

Hi Arnold Krille!

I am aware that the possible relationship of MAS and aRTs has yet to be
explored. Your response to Hetz Ben Hamo and to the KDE lists caught my
attention.

MAS provides both hardware and software audio controls. MAS provides very
good software mixing - a 20-bit mixer, with soft-limiting, noise shaping
quantization. The MAS architecture also makes it easy to add dedicated
modules (MAS "Devices") for special purpose processing of digital audio
streams.

We would be glad to answer questions or discuss these issues either here or
on the MAS lists at http://www.MediaApplicationServer.net .

( I probably should add that Stefan W. has repeatedly urged us to enter
these discussions... )

Leon Shiman

Shiman Associates Inc
163 Tappan Street
Brookline MA 02445 USA

tel: (00)1.617.277.0087

On Thursday 24 April 2003 18:06, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> I have here at work 4 machines, all of them got this Intel i810 audio
> driver (the company I work for doesn't want to buy an extra sound card)
and
> one of my biggest problems with the sound is that there is no option to
> have Bass/Treble
>
> I'm sure that there are literally tons of sound card which doesn't have
> this ability with the driver, so my big question is - can aRTs "emulate"
> somehow those effect?  I've seen some effects in artscontrol, but
> artscontrol itself seems to be very unfriendly to sound-newbies...
> Also, is there a plan to merge some of the aRTs effects into KMix gui?

First: aRts and KMix are independent and I don't see any reason why they
should be mixed. Of course it would be confusing to have two similar
programms but one is the control for your hardware and the other is the
control for software-mixing (talking of an aRts-mixer) and this shouldn't be
mixed (and it wouldn't be possible easily since mixers in aRts are dynamic
and depend on the routing).

Second: You can load an FiveBandMonoComplexEQ inside aRts. If someone wants
it
I could create a gui and effect for a SimpleStereoEQ. This one you could
load
within aRts either into the mastereffectstack or inside noatuns.

I am working at a new version of artscontrol whidh is also an applet and can
load all effects you have installed into the mastereffectstack. Its
currently
in kdenonbeta/arts/simpleartscontrolapplet (outdated) but I have no time
until next week... so if you can wait a little longer I will finish it.

Arnold