Multimedia framework

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Oct 24 19:12:19 BST 2002

On Thursday October 24 2002 13:41, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Thursday 24 October 2002 02:15, George Staikos wrote:
> > > KDE has a video widget interface in libartskde.  It depends up on the
> > > VideoPlayObject, which is implemented by xine_artsplugin, and the video
> > > widget is used by Kaboodle and Noatun.
> >
> >    What does this do exactly?  Is it an output method?  CODEC?  Input
> > source?
>
> If I understand it correctly, a monolithic component that reads the file,
> decodes it and writes the video data into a X11 window. It is running in
> the arts process and controlled via MCOP.

   This is what I was afraid of.  Using such approaches is just not suitable
to all applications, though I do see a benefit in terms of things like using
more polished apps to do end-to-end playing of video files/dvds.  I can't see
how this could be very useful for a realtime video editor, for instance.

--

George Staikos