Multimedia Frameworks

Peter.Q at gmx.net Peter.Q at gmx.net
Tue Oct 22 18:21:36 BST 2002

Hi Jason,

my question to kde-multimedia was about the very same topic. I am also
trying to write a non linear video editor. I am not sure what exactly you have
done already. It seems to me, that you have an UI but not underlying render
engine. If that is the case, than your and my part are pretty disjunct. I have a
library, which is in a very early alpha phase, but can already read DV video
and take an arbitrary number of streams, and render transitions and effects I
have some transition effects like picinpic, crossfades, imageoverlay,
colorframes, alphablend, shiftin, etc. They are working (by means of a prove of
principle) and I have a very nice way to plug all of those together in a very
generic way, I can go into detail in case you are interested.
This engine is independent of any gui or multimedia framework (it uses
gdk-pixbuf at some places, but that can be easily replaced by QPixmap I guess).
What I am looking for at this point, is:
a) a GUI framework (probably kde, because I code C++)
b) a multimedia framework to do three things:
    1) help import from all kinds of files and 2) export to all kinds
    3) display a) single images and b) preview parts of the video

So I am not interested in all the fancy pipelining Gstreamer can to, except
of the parts which are necessary to import/export all kinds of fancy
audio/video formats. Also it will be easy to support 3rd party plugins via GStreamer
(think of effectTV). I wonder, if that is also possible with aRts.

What do you think?

Cheers