aRts KDE3.1 features

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Tue Jul 30 20:24:15 BST 2002

   Hi!

I've just looked at the KDE3.1 feature plan. The status of the items appears
to be the following:

??? - Recording frontends

I've asked Matthias Kretz today, because it appears that he would be the one
to decide whether or not this can still be done? I think it would really be
nice to have a recording frontend in kdemultimedia! Maybe krecord can be moved?

good - Add caching vorbis playobject to base distribution so we can distribute
       KDE sounds in a much smaller format

There are a few outstanding issues with GSLPlayObject which I am trying to
fix with Hans these days, but I think we'll be able to ship with a working
ogg Playobject. I'll move this to YELLOW.

bad  - libkmid should be obsolete
bad  - Consistent i18n everywhere
bad  - AKAI loader
bad  - move .PAT loader to GSL sample abstraction

Although I consider quite some of these really important and/or nice to have,
the amount of work done until now on these items is too little to be confident.
So unless somebody is willing to adopt one or more of these right now, and
ensure that they will be ready in time, I'll postpone them to KDE3.2.

dead - DCOP - MCOP bridge (?)

I'll remove this.

   Cu... Stefan
--