artswrapper defanged

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 13:51:51 BST 2002

On Friday 12 July 2002 14:45, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Friday July 12, 2002 05:41, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Friday 12 July 2002 14:05, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > As for taking down the system, I really doubt 4 videos will do it.
> > > I've guessed numbers like 200 in my examples.  Why don't you test your
> > > fears, before calling for the elimination of functionality because of
> > > them?
> >
> > I think that the amount of videos severely depends on the CPU power. But
> > I can't test because I'm still running 3.0 branch... (Yeah, flame on ;-)
>
> I run BRANCH, but occasionally watch a video using HEAD kaboodle.  No
> flames here. :-)

Could you do the honours and see where it takes the system down?

I guess it will go down faster if you stress memory by booting with 'ram=64M'
or so, and underclocking the CPU will help too...

Seriously, you might be right, but I have bad experiences with the
responsiveness of playing movies in Windows on older hardware. Current
hardware is faster, but current codecs are more CPU intensive as well as the
good old mpeg1 codec. And I'm not sure how fast X11 is for video, it might
kill performance if you don't have xshm or better.
--
Martijn