artswrapper defanged

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 12:56:17 BST 2002

On Friday 12 July 2002 13:43, Neil Stevens wrote:
> In the first case, it doesn't matter what the user runs with artswrapper,
> because he's a good trustworthy individual.  This is the common case of a
> single-user home desktop.

Actually I wonder if it's good marketing if a user can bring the system down
by firing up four mpeg movies at once. I personally think that applications
started by a user should in no event bring down the system.

I wonder if it's technically feasible, because essentially I'm asking for
'almost real-time' scheduling in the sense that the real-time scheduled
processes _together_ may never eat more than, say 90% cpu, leaving at least
10% for the kernel and a little bit of responsiveness that is hopefully
enough to kill the mpegs that you started.

Whether you started the mpegs on purpose or by accident is hard to determine,
and bringing the OS down due to an accident sounds bad to me.

Question still is, is the above possible at all, or is realtime scheduling an
all-or-nothing approach? In the latter case I agree with Neil that
single-user systems better use it and assume it won't break too much. In the
former case I don't agree with Neil however.
--
Martijn