artswrapper defanged

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Fri Jul 12 12:10:57 BST 2002

Dirk Mueller <mueller at kde.org> writes:
> But its implementation is flawed. IMHO artswrapper should ONLY execute
> artsd, not an arbitary command like it is now.
>
> As a normal user I can do artswrapper -a somethingthatuses100percentcpu
> and the system is dead, that means there is no chance to change anything or
> kill the process.
>
> IMHO it should not start apps that are not installed in dirs where only root
> has write permissions, and it should only start something that looks like
> artsd, not an arbitary application.

Sounds nice at first, but OTOH artsd is a modular server allowing the
use of user-defined modules, i.e. user-supplied code. So it doesn't
matter if artswrapper can start somethingthatuses100percentcpu,
because it can as well start artsd which loads
mymodulethatuses100percentcpu.

Does realtime priority switch off process accounting? That's supposed
to be the multiuser-system DOS preventer..

--
Ciao,  /  /
      /--/