aRts < 1.0.3 local root exploit

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 13:16:59 BST 2002

Moin Stefan!

It seems the posting on bugtraq was a fake, there is no exploitable local
root. However, there are plenty possibilities of local DoS attacks when
realtime scheduling is allowed and enabled.

The question is: Do we care ?

Will we enhance security of arts for KDE 3.0.3 / 3.1 ?

things like:

- refuse to run as root, setuid to nobody then or similiar
- refuse to load player plugins from nonroot, different users
- fix the exploitable buffer overflows in arts

Should we recommend to disable realtime priority (i.e. remove the suid bit
on artswrapper)?

Should we make the non-suid artswrapper the default ?

I'm preparing an advisory, so please reply ASAP :-)

Dirk

(Keep me on CC)