Timeline widgets for KDE?

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Fri Jul 5 21:30:47 BST 2002

On Friday July 05, 2002 06:55, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 04 Jul 2002 7:22 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > On Wednesday July 03, 2002 08:18, Jason Wood wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Before I start going about designing one from scratch, are there any
> > > timeline style widgets for KDE already, such as would be used in
> > > sound/video editing software?
> >
> > I tried to write one once for Kaboodle, to be put under the slider.  I
> > couldn't force myself to finish, though, because I hate doing all the
> > pixel calculations.
>
> I have attatched a picture of what I have so far. As you can see, the
> widget you are describing is basically the "ruler" as I call it. It's
> only part of what I consider to be the timeline, but I agree that it
> should be a seperate general widget in itself.

OK, good.  I thought you meant the ruler by itself.  But more is fine, too.

Well, my only wish for the ruler beyond what you already describe would be
a way to control what gets displayed as the values. Someone else might
want to have inches, someone else might want flat numbers, someone else
might want parsecs (think KStars :-), and the way to do that is the
virtual method that returns the QStrings you display.

> I have been considering adding support for multiple sliders onto the
> ruler itself - Do you think it is better for it to be part of the same
> widget, or as a seperate widget which extends a base version which
> merely displays the ruler?

Well, I'd like to see them kept mostly independent classes, actually.
Having used a closely coupled QHeader and QListView, I don't want this
KRuler and KTimeLine to be equally coupled.

I suggest the ability give KTimeLine the ability to control a TimeLine,
Slider, or even one axis of a ScrollView, but allow KRuler to be used
fully independently, too.

> I am unsure about what you mean by configurable tick intervals. At the
> moment, I have a routine which figures out a nice distribution for the
> ticks, preventing them from getting too tightly bunched together on the
> screen and making sure that they always fall on 5/10/20/30 second
> boundaries (and equivalent boundaries for minutes and sub-second
> intervals). I'm guessing that this should remain the "default"
> behaviour, though it should be easy to make the functions that set up
> tick values virtual protected so that they can be overidden.
>
> Does this sound about right?

yes.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com