Severe thumbnail problems

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun Dec 22 11:50:51 GMT 2002

On Sunday 22 December 2002 11:37, Malte Starostik wrote:
> As I understand George, he has disabled the "Start aRts soundserver on KDE
> startup" option in kcontrol. Now this option clearly states what it does:
> it starts aRts on KDE startup if enabled. Disabling it does not imply that
> artsd is never started.
> So would I have to check for that option in konq_sound (the ioslave is not
> involved here) and just don't do anything if it's disabled? This might fix
> the current problem but it would turn the option into "Start aRts
> soundserver on KDE startup or for A/V file prelistening/views" :-)

Artsd has some safeguards against excessive CPU usage anyway. The main problem
as I see it from this thread is that there are more instances of artsd. IIRC
there should be only one, which is supposed to be reused for subsequent
tasks, so the CPU monitoring can also be done properly by this one and only
daemon. See also the earlier threads on artsd's realtime priority btw.

Since the thumbnail code fires up a few slaves at the same time I think this
is a race condition where no running artsd is detected and 10 slaves are each
given their own artsd instance. I don't know where the check for a running
artsd is done now, but most robust to me would probably be a single entry
point in e.g. klauncher which makes sure no second artsd is started (or a
kded module). Good enough for this case, and a lot easier to write, but not
avoid races between different applications, is to have the check in the
thumbnail generating code, just before spawning the slave. Downside of this
is that the thumb code explicitly needs to know whether a slave is arts-using
or not.

--
Martijn