Severe thumbnail problems

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sat Dec 21 07:40:51 GMT 2002

On Friday 20 December 2002 22:54, Malte Starostik wrote:
> [resent to correct kdemm address]
>
> On Friday 20 December 2002 16:50, George Staikos wrote:
> > I would like to either see a clean fix for both problems (horrible
> > configuration method, launching artsd when it should not/using 100% cpu),
> > or disable audio and video previews by default for 3.1.0.  Using 100% cpu
> > in the background without end is a showstopper as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Yes, but this is an artsd bug then, isn't it? It should a) not start artsd
> if it's disabled, even if client code tries to start it (just return a Null
> soundserver object) or would that break more than the current behaviour
> does? And of course even if it's started it shouldn't consume 100% CPU for
> not doing anything. What does it do with all the cycles? Busy waiting?
> -Malte

Artsd cannot start artsd :-) The thumbnail code is probably the culprit here.
It should respect the configuration setting. Artsd does not use or know
KConfig at all. It does not use any KDE or Qt classes for generic stuff.

The problem with 100% CPU for nothing is also not artsd, it's most probably
the xine plugin. It's used to render thumbnails for video files.

Just disable video file preview, that should to the trick, if not, fix the
thumbnail ioslave. Audio file pre-listening work great.

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"