KDE{Core, Ui} on MeeGo: freeze of removed deprecated symbols on first release?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Mar 23 18:06:45 CET 2011

On Wednesday 23 March 2011 00:15:05 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Which made me think that removing such symbols from the ABI of the Mobile
> profile has to be frozen on the first official release on the MeeGo
> platform. Right?

That's roughly the plan, epsilon a s/on the MeeGo platform// though. We're
making KDE Mobile, not KDE MeeGo. ;-)

In my view we might be able to mark it stable for 4.7. And I don't plan more
deprecated removal from the ABI (that is, stuff which gets deprecated from now
on will stay in the build).

> Is that supported in the KDE build system? Or what are the ideas/opinions
> here? Kevin?

Yes, it's well supported, by default the KDE_DEPRECATED macro doesn't remove
the symbol from the ABI at all. You've to ifdef it for it to happen, which is
manual, so no risk of doing it by mistake (as there could be the risk with an
automated process).

--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net