KDE-ify QML all across KDE

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:25:54 CET 2011

On Monday 10 January 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> one possibility is, once it is in kdelibs, to pull in _just_ KIcon from
> kdeui and build it directly into the QML bindings. that would mean
> (currently) pulling in KIconLoader, KIconTheme, KIconEffect, K3Icon and
> KIconCache. not great, but better than all of kdeui, and there may be room

ok, so i'll keep it linking kdeui until merged, then I'll can import the
required kdeui files individually (hoping there won't be too much domino
effect ending up importing half of it eheh :))

as the way of improvement, how i see it is basically:
for sure qt having the needed bits that nowdays justify the exstence of
classes like KIcon would be good, how feasible in short term dunno, that's
kind of platform11 material :)

also potentially material for that, what i see improvable in kdeui, is that
right now mixescustom qwidgets with things that are more low level pixmap
related, like icons or "backend of ui" like kstatusnotifieritem and the rest
of the stuff in notifications/
that looks like a candidate for a split at least in two...

> for improvements there, even (i'm currently looking into why KIconCache
> even exists still)

BC i guess? ;) probably should be deprecated...

> > This would go in a (probably separate library) in kdelibs, making it
> > possible to use from qml plasmoids as before or also in c++plasmoids or
> > non plasmoid ui components of plasma (where we still don't have the same
> > nice bindings) but also from completely independent applications like
> > Kontact touch/calligra mobile/whatever.
>
> very, very nice :)

:)

Cheers,