Kontact Touch, setup for large accounts?!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Feb 27 12:00:14 CET 2011

Am Montag, 10. Januar 2011 13:21:00 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> As it get more and more usable, I am facing a road block for testing
> Kontact Touch in some environments: If the Kolab Account for real data is
> quite large, e.g. 3 Gibibyte and 50 subfolder of INBOX, the current way how
> accounts are set up fails.
>
> Currently the account setup (wizard) has an entry for Kolab Server
> which will switch on interval checking and offline mode for all folders.
> All folder inherit their sync and cache settings from the parent.

A discussion during our dev meeting Osnabrück [1] leads us to suggest
to change the default wizard in Kolab to

1. Make the INBOX offline and all subfolders of INBOX on-demand by default
2. This means all subfolders of INBOX do not depend on the setting of INBOX.
   Subsubfolders to get their setting from their partent.
3. (All the groupware folders are offline anyway in the groupware resource.
   No change needed.)
(I am creating a report for this change after sending this email.)

> a) One issue is the demand of memory.
> By default on the N900 there is only the space left on the /dev/mmcblk0p2
> aka ext2 /home device, which has 2064208 KByte in total, but includes other
> stuff.
> For the HTC Touch Pro2, there is the Micro SD card, which is used by
> default and it depends how much space you had put in there.

The user can decide once the inbox is working well to switch other
folder to offline as well more easily now. So initial space is less.

> b) Initial sync and indexing speed. This can take many hours with these
> slow machines. I guess, not fully tested for obvious reasons.

We believe the folder list is pretty fast even for larger folder lists,
this is why we do not propose to use local subscriptions to blend out folders.

> c) Regular sync speed. If you happen to want a full sync.
>
> d) Having a different sync option on INBOX and the 50 folders is hard, it
> would need to touch 50 folders to not use their parent setting in doubt.

Switching on individual subfolder trees or subfolders is easier
than doing a change on many folders to change the INBOX policy.
This is why the proposed default makes more sense.

> Potential solutions:
> For the N900, the dev/mmcblk0p1 on /home/user/MyDocs type vfat
> device would have more space, but this does not solve the sync issues.
>
> What about adding a Kolab Server (large) option to the account setup menu?
> It could only have the groupware folders be fully cached.
> It might make all the subfolder of INBOX have explicit cache/sync settings.
> Or it would locally unsubscribe most of the folders, e.g. all except INBOX
> and all groupware folders. Possibly do something about the intevall sync,
> like INBOX fully cached and 10 minutes, so the main groupware *.default
> folders, but less for the rest.

It seems the setting above are more sensible for everyone, so no need for a
second option or entry in the account setup menu.

> I cannot say what the best settings for this account creation mode are,
> but it would help all issue and thus get more testers.
>
> Also helpful would be to make changing the folder options easier, like
> to get a question when changing INBOX what to do with the subfolders.
> And making a change on many folders easier as well, the list of a few
> hundered folders in question make changes of the list of local subscription
> hard and also hurts in other places.

A small improvement was already made: Quick search now work in the
subscription dialogs, so you can find a single folder more easily.

Best,
Bernhard

[1]
http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Meetings/Osnabrueck_9