Akonadi database performance

Bjoern Ricks bjoern.ricks at intevation.de
Tue Feb 22 15:06:59 CET 2011

Hi,

on the kde-mobile-user maillinglist we got feedback about unpleasant
performance of akonadi on Maemo5 (N900) with large account (>=1GB). We at
Intevation thought about how to improve the database (in this case sqlite)
and as a first step it would be nice to integrate the database index change
from
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=akonadi.git&a=commit&h=8a2400f131cba56c6c8ce37e27073c23210d7fb2
for all mobile plattforms. The database indexes aren't necessary and can be
dropped. Maybe it would also good to integrate the patch for
desktop builds. We have seen big improvements of the inital sync duration.
It was approximately 40% faster then before on wince.

In general the performance improvements in akonadi are not easy to quantify.
Sometimes it's not more then a feeling. It would be nice to implement some
benchmarks based on real akonadi workflows and afterwards try to improve
several aspekts.

regards
Björn
--