Harmattan Ovi Store and dependencies (seems to be possible)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Dec 3 17:45:47 UTC 2011

> So it seems the store does support dependencies. Any idea who to ask about it?

I will discuss it again with one of Ovi Maintainers on Monday face to
face, if nobody knows. I try to help with this, if I get definite
answers. :) Apps4MeeGo does not provide it atm, that is what I know.

A bit of hijack, thus sorry for that, but: I think we need to find a
way to not install libraries (at least the same versions) multiple
time coming from different "app store" (let it Android market, Ovi,
Intel AppUp, Apps4Meego or what not)  packages.

It might not be a big concern for Harmattan since as we measured
kdelibs is not that big. Regarding Android, it is a bit bigger issue
since the we need to ship the qt libraries there as well along with
our packages.

Qt library measurements on my laptop:
2.9M	/usr/lib/libQt3Support.so.4.7.4
884K	/usr/lib/libQtCLucene.so.4.7.4
2.6M	/usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4.7.4
484K	/usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4.7.4
3.6M	/usr/lib/libQtDeclarative.so.4.7.4
2.6M	/usr/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.so.4.7.4
6.0M	/usr/lib/libQtDesigner.so.4.7.4
11M	/usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.7.4
548K	/usr/lib/libQtHelp.so.4.7.4
172K	/usr/lib/libQtMultimedia.so.4.7.4
1.3M	/usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4.7.4
940K	/usr/lib/libQtOpenGL.so.4.7.4
2.5M	/usr/lib/libQtScript.so.4.7.4
752K	/usr/lib/libQtScriptTools.so.4.7.4
248K	/usr/lib/libQtSql.so.4.7.4
352K	/usr/lib/libQtSvg.so.4.7.4
144K	/usr/lib/libQtTest.so.4.7.4
21M	/usr/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4.7.4
4.3M	/usr/lib/libQtXmlPatterns.so.4.7.4
268K	/usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4.7.4

I think it is not a hard problem to solve the space optimization
though on Android. They do not have that restricted platform security
we achieved for Harmattan. It is certainly not a problem for the Nemo
Mobile project either.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp