The MeeGo conference BoF session preparation

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 22:34:58 CET 2010

Hi all in To:

You all sort of volunteered (if this is news for you, sorry but read
on ;) ) to present at the MeeGo summit BoF session titled "Developing
a MeeGo interface for your desktop app". This is described as being
good advice from experienced Qt developers to (potential) MeeGo
developers in porting existing applications. Obviously, porting is a
big part of the KDE mobile initiative.

I'll be hosting the session. I'll start of with an introduction,
summary and discussion topics. But what I would like each of you to do
is make some slides with the tips and tricks you like to share with a
bigger audience. You should expect that audience to be unaware of KDE
mobile, so don't be afraid to rehash old blog posts, etc.
The slides should be completely static, ~5 slides long, taking no more then 5
minutes to present (excluding Q/A), using this template [1] and send
to me no later
then Sunday 14/11 @ 21:00 Dublin time. Use of screenshots is highly
recommended, just back them up with a smooth story.

#kde-meego is the dedicated "war room" get on there if you want to
discuss, but mainly so I can contact you fast. I'll try to be present
from now until Tuesday. Also, please subscribe to kde-mobile at kde.org,
we'll continue this there. Also send replies there.

On Monday 15/11, i.e. the first day of the conference I'll stalk each
of you until until I get everyones slides. I'll integrated them into
one PDF to put on my laptop. We'll do this lightning talk style, i.e.
you can't use your own laptop.

The slides are there for two reasons: to get everyone up to speed and
to serve as a reference point for the following discussion. Exactly
what the discussion topics will be I don't know yet, it's going to be
either hard core KDE-mobile architecture and UX or more generic Qt app
to mobile porting. It all depends on the audience.

I plan to load up some already functioning apps on my N900 and laptop
(X201 tablet -> multitouch), If you got some demo's you want to have
loaded up, send me an archive an be prepared to support me to compile
it.

This is out chance to make a big splash for KDE mobile in the wider
MeeGo world, let's make sure we use of it.

If you want out, send me a private mail. But really, please don't. I
should add all of you to the presenter list of the BoF session. This
makes it easy for people to shy to speak up during the session to
contact us afterwards.

Bart

[1] http://conference2010.meego.com/sites/all/files/MeeGo-Conference-SlideTemplate.odp