Remote connect akonadiconsole <-> akonadiserver?

Rolf Offermanns rolf.offermanns at gmx.net
Wed Jun 16 13:06:56 CEST 2010

On 06/14/2010 10:41 AM, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Sunday 13 June 2010 16:16:43 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
>> Hi Rolf,
>>
>> On Sunday, 2010-06-13, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
>>
>>> I get some errors about non-existing dbus services, but the connection
>>> is established anyway. At least partially...
>>>
>>> I can use the "Browser" to check my N900 resources, but the "Agents" tab
>>> still shows the stuff from my desktop, not the resources from the N900.
>>>
>> D-Bus usually doesn't support connections via anything else than local
>> means such as Unix domain sockets, though tt might be possible to configure
>> D-Bus to use TCP and not perform any authentication checking.
>>
>> However, if I understand your requirements correctly, wouldn't it be easier
>> to just set DISPLAY for akonadiconsole to point to your desktop machine or
>> use X tunneling of SSH?
>>
> I tried that as well, so far without success, the UI always showed up on the
> device.

It works, but there are some caveats:

- If you "ssh -X" as root and then "su - user" the DISPLAY variable will
get lost (easy to fix) and the xauth setup will not work
-> Set a password for "user" and "ssh -X user at n900" then it will work
(thanks, Kevin!)

However, akonadiconsole seems to take the resolution information from
the N900 so it looks the same on the remote display (only 300% the size)
as on the N900. No usability improvement.

> Therefore I implemented the Akonadi remote debugging server (akonadi_rds) some
> time ago. It tunnels the Akonadi protocol and D-Bus over TCP. All you need is
> to start akonadi_rds on the target system and set the corresponding
> environment variables for Akonadi and D-Bus connections to the TCP address of
> that on the client system. At least in theory. It works fine between the
> Maemo emulator and the host system but not with the real device. I guess it's
> due to some endian issues with D-Bus, never got around to debug that though so
> far :-(

Is akonadi_rds available as N900 package?

-Rolf