kwallet needed on smartphones?

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Tue Jun 1 10:37:27 CEST 2010

I think KWallet or some equivalent definitely makes sense.
There was once some talk going on about merging KWallet and GNOME Keyring
back-ends.

Maybe the idea can be picked up in a way to provide plugable back-ends to
KWallet. On mobile phones a back-end that's more phone-specific could be
beneficiary. I'm thinking of a way to decrypt passwords via SIM card. A
specific SIM card has to be authenticated via password once and from then on
it's up to the user whether he/she wants to setup a PIN or not. If the user
enters the phone's PIN, the system starts up, checks for the SIM, and decrypts
automatically. Only when the user switches providers, he/she gets a message
like: "New SIM card detected. To guaranty safety to your data, please
authenticate this SIM with your password" or so.

Plugable back-ends would ease to migrate to an infrastructure shared with
GNOME on desktops and allow new authentication methods that suit other devices
best.
Frankly I don't know the dependencies for KWallet, but that could possibly
also cut down the required dependencies.