About Contributing to KDE-Mobile Project

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 13:06:16 CET 2010

On Wednesday 08 December 2010, Nilesh Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi I am Nilesh,
> currently working with Nokia. I have around 8 yrs of Symbian C++ and QT
> Experience. I wish to enter in to this wonderland of Open source. I am very
> new to this.
> Could anyone please help me out in getting started with some junior job
> (the term that i learnt yesterday ;) ).
> BR,
> Nilesh K

Hi Nilesh,
It's great that you are interested in the project, new hands are always good
;)

There are of course tons of things to do, that is even hard to list them ;)
let's start with things that are quite essential for all "sub" projects:

* packaging, pckaging, packaging: we are now in the effort of producing rpm
packages for meego of KDE built on the Mobile profile, the progress can be
seen there:
https://build.pub.meego.com/project/show?project=home:mkruisselbrink:kde
as you can see not everything is already packaged and there are problematic
ones that at tme moment don't build.
* On not building ones: as said, we are building them with the mobile
profiles, that means, among the other things, no Qt3/KDE3 support and no
deprecated functions from kdelibs, that's why some of tem at the moment still
don't build. patches to overcome the problems would be really sweet ;)

As for what there is to do on the projects itself (Plasma, Calligra, Kontact,
Marble, Amarok, did i forget somebody? ;)
Now, I can just speak for the one i'm more involved with, that is Plasma,
where the most urgent thing (and quite easy to get start with i think) is to
convert current plasmoids to the use of the QML language.

For the others, well, the respective people can say what needs to be done way
better than how I could ;)

If ou have doubts, want to know more about something in particular, don't
hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Marco Martin