[Kde-mobile-users] kmail-mobile / N900 - first impressions

Jan Malte Gerth mail at malte-gerth.de
Wed Jun 9 19:09:31 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch 09 Juni 2010, 16:35:34 schrieb Björn Balazs:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2010 12:11:33 Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> > - The "actions" slider is unintuitive. It looks like a slide-out
> > button, but in fact, you have to pull and push it.
>
> This is a good comment for the user-ML :)
>
> What do other people think of this?
>
> How does it feel after some time of useing it?
>
> Cheers,
> Björn

Thank you Björn. I really like the "vision" for this ML.

According to this statement i want to share some thoughts about kde
mobile:
1. Sync: keep you contacts and events in sync with the desktop is the
most important point i think. Email clients exists for most mobile
phones. Most of them are very well integrated into the phone os.

2. flags: like mails can get flags in kmail these flags should be used on
kde mobile too. So tagging something as family or work should be also
available on the other client.

3. applications: as already said, starting with kontact is the right
way i think. but other basic applications should follow soon i think.
a simple and working text editor is missing on most mobile phones.
this is where kwrite or kate could go.

4. UI: The interface of the applications must be very clean. having
the desktop known menu bar with "file" "edit" "options" is something
which shouldn't be used on mobile phones as they are navigated with
touch instead of a pointer. The way how nativ N900 applications handle
this seems good to me. tapping on the top of an application shows the
available menu points like options, save and open. Having the most
used menu points right there and settle the remaing under an option
"more" would give a better workflow for me.

5. speed: time is something which is very rare while using a mobile
phone. so the startup time and main processes shouldn't  be very long.
if i want to check my mails i don't have the time to wait 2 minutes
until the applications is ready. i just want to make two clicks and
see if there are new informations for me.

6. passwords: having kwallet in sync would be great.

7. kio: having the full kio protocol support on my N900 would be great
to access the music on my desktop with fish:// and make some changes
with kwrite on a website with ftp:// .

8. plasma: using plasmoids on the mobile phone could be great. having
a big clock at the workspace and the weather right below saves time to
start several applications to get the same informations.

To conclude i have to say, the N900 interface looks very good for me.
but i just can't image a better way. maybe someone else has an idea.

regards,
Malte
---
Jan Malte Gerth
anmeldungen at malte-gerth.de
www.malte-gerth.de

Ich lege großen Wert auf Sicherheit. Daher sind wichtige Informationen
mit GPG verschlüsselt und Emails generell signiert.

I care about security. For this reason important informations are
encryted with GPG and emails are generally signed.