QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation on MacOS

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu May 3 10:22:30 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 8:02 PM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> Hi!

Hi all,

> [...]
> 2. There may be a concern about side-effects, as the behavior of Qt
> will depend on an environment variable where it did not before, with
> _potential_ interaction between separate installations.
> 3. Will also need some "cooperation" from the calling app in order to
> work for all installation scenarios (XDG_DATA_DIRS will have to be
> set/adjusted, and an extra setup call may be needed to request
> "Unix-behavior" from QStandardPaths).
>
> --- Patching in an installation-relative path ---
> A much smaller patch
> (https://cgit.kde.org/craft-blueprints-kde.git/tree/libs/qt5/qtbase/fix_GenericDataLocation_mac.patch)
> could be used to add "<APPDIR>/../Resources" to the end of the path
> list returned for GenericDataLocation. This would allow to locate
> resources in any installation root (be it centralized or single-app),
> albeit in a non-configurable relative path inside the installation
> root. This would thus need support from ECM to adjust the
> installation-layout, accordingly, _or_ the addition of a symlink
> - _inside_ the installation root, this time - e.g. from ROOT/Resources
> to ROOT/share .
>
> Not sure about the MacPorts-take on doing something like this, but for
> Homebrew and Craft (both setups), this should(TM) be no problem. As the
> new search directory is added at the end of the path list, _and_ it is
> at an installation-relative path (where only files belonging to that
> installation will be found), the potential for unexpected side-effects
> should be strictly limited.
>
> As one drawback I can think of, handling supporting binaries, e.g. in
> "libexec" may cause a headache, although this, too should probably be
> solvable by appropriate adjustments of the installation layout or
> symlinks.
>
> -- Other ideas --
> Another idea would be to allow qt.conf to influence the paths returned
> for GenericDataLocation. As qt.conf can be placed next to the
> application to deploy, lookup behavior could be adjusted in a
> straight-forward way, limited to each installation.
>
> As, so far, qt.conf does not affect QStandardPaths at all, however,
> such a patch would probably be rather intrusive in itself. (Also, so
> far, qt.conf only support one path per type, not a list of paths).
>
> -- Other things to consider --
> Essentially the same thoughts probably apply to GenericConfigLocation.
> I left that out for now, in order to not make the discussion even more
> complex. And of course the solution should be transferrable to further
> platforms beyond Unix/Windows/Mac, if needed.
>
> -- The bottom line --
> Ok, sorry for the long mail. Long story short: We need to come up with
> a solution, and it best be a solution that
> a) can be upstreamed to Qt
> b) works out for MacPorts, Homebrew, _and_ Craft.
> So does any of the approaches outlined above qualify for these
> conditions, or what else could be a viable route to take?

Just thought i'd comment on the experience we had when we previously
tried to resolve this issue.

Last time around the Qt Core maintainer vetoed our attempts to get
this changed, and forced us to liase with a Qt Company employee whose
responsiveness was lacking (to say the least). Suffice to say, that
effectively killed the effort last time round.

Best wishes with getting this sorted out this time around!

> Regards
> Thomas

Cheers,
Ben