[Interest] Mac: a bit of 10.9 love

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:14:39 UTC 2018

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

Hi,

Somehow I missed this (or that my reply never got through):

> Didn't Qt only drop support for building on 10.9? I am pretty sure you should
> be able to build on 10.10+ and deploy to 10.9 if you wish. Though I can see
> how that might be a bit ackward for open source home builds.

Sadly, no. I've tested this with the official 5.9.1 and 5.9.3 builds which are
not impossible to install once you figure out how to run the MaintenanceTool
without crashing.

The underlying problem is that 10.9 never got the latest 10.10 SDK and
libraries, so code needs to be very careful in checking what 10.10 version
introduced a particular function or feature if 10.9 compatibility is required.
Qt doesn't do that, so there are a few calls made (esp. in the native Mac style)
which cause an abort in the ObjC runtime on 10.9 .

I've reintroduced the conditional code that was stripped (and made some other
code conditional) in my osx-integration repo so that the Cocoa QPA and Mac style
build and run again on 10.9 .

I've even managed to do this with their 5.10 versions, but where the 5.9 QPA and
style worked seamlessly with Qt 5.8, those 5.10 versions do not work as well
with Qt 5.9 because too many other things have changed. Including probably more
10.10+ SDK calls in QtBase and other components, so I've decided that my
"backported" 10.9 support will apply to 5.9LTS only.