Translations on Mac (was Translations)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:02:05 UTC 2017

On Thursday September 07 2017 14:37:56 Hannah von Reth wrote:

What ECM really ought to have is a link to QStandardPaths which is the source of all the evil mentioned below. In the simplest approach it could be set up when being configured, querying the qtpaths utility for the writable standard locations, but it could also include a simpler version of that utility (which can receive a program name argument so that it can return the exact correct app-specific locations).

NB: the only thing to look out for is the writable ApplicationsLocation which is likely (used) to be /Applications on Mac ... which has a whole different role on Mac than that location has on Linux.

The standard location for GenericDataLocation (that's where the locale directory is expected?) on Mac:
~/Library/Application Support:/Library/Application Support

One big request: don't hardcode any Mac changes. I'm following the complementary approach in my KF5 ports for MacPorts, patching QStandardPaths so it returns compatible ("standard") locations, so the .mo files in my $prefix/share/locale work as expected.

R.