D5825: kcheckpass: Add support in for non-Linux platforms via kevent.

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon May 29 08:59:58 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5825#112442, @tcberner wrote:

  > > Do you actually intend to test this on Mac?
  >
  > Nope, I don't have a Mac :) -- but I hoped, that there were some Mac users who could check it on their end too (as you also have kqueue/kevent) -- but I did not know that most of the stuff is not yet ported for Mac.

  You ought to be able to set up a VM (or build a dual-boot Hackintosh ;)) but there are several reasons why this endeavour is a bit futile on Mac. The most important of which are that Qt and KF5 code in general assume that X11 isn't available (or shouldn't be used) on Mac, and a prevalent apparent attitude among many (or just the most vocal) Plasma devs that Plasma is off-limits on Mac.

  But even without those obstacles, the XQuartz X11 environment runs as an "embedded server" inside a standard Aqua session and I don't know of any way to run any other kind of session. Of course you can run an X11 screensaver and/or screenlocker but what's the point if you already have the same functionality in the main session? In fact, the same *but full-featured* functionality; I strongly doubt that an X11 screenlocker will (nor should) provide features to suspend, shutdown/restart the system or login as another user.

REPOSITORY
  R133 KScreenLocker

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5825