build instructions

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 12 08:52:29 UTC 2017

On Thursday May 11 2017 22:13:34 meik michalke wrote:

Hi,

>i've just set up a machine with a fresh installation of El Capitan, Xcode 8.2
>and Qt 5.8. i'm now trying to follow the build instructions given here:
> https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Mac

Exactly what is your purpose here? Do you want to have as-close-to-stock builds as possible or do you just want to have KDE applications that function as well (and with the largest feature-set) as possible?
If the latter and you don't care about having all-inclusive standalone app bundles (nor always the latest versions of everything) I can only advise you to use MacPorts and my collection of ports (github:RJVB/MacStrop).

><error>
>CMake Error at /Users/rkward/Qt5.8.0/5.8/clang_64/lib/cmake/Qt5UiPlugin/
>Qt5UiPluginConfig.cmake:11 (message):
>  The imported target "Qt5::UiPlugin" references the file
>
>     "/Users/rkward/Qt5.8.0/5.8/clang_64/lib/QtUiPlugin.framework"
>
>  but this file does not exist.  Possible reasons include:

doesn't it?

>  * The installation package was faulty and contained
>
>     "/Users/rkward/Qt5.8.0/5.8/clang_64/lib/cmake/Qt5UiPlugin/
>Qt5UiPluginConfig.cmake"

Do you have that file?

I've never tried to build Phonon against stock Qt but I can assure that I've never had anything like that error with my own qt5-kde port (currently at Qt 5.8.0; Phonon at 4.9.1).

>See also "/Users/rkward/software/kf5/build/qt-libs/phonon/work/mingw-w64-
>RelWithDebInfo-4.9.1/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Do I understand correctly that you are using mingw? Doing a cross-build, are you?

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, do NOT use anything but clang to build on Mac. If you do use a different compiler, use a custom Qt install made with the same compiler. All Mac OS versions from 10.9 onwards use libc++ while the GCC collection has no official way to use anything other than libstdc++ . Those two runtimes are not compatible.

(I have been working on a GCC patch to make it use libc++ and the corresponding c++/v1 headers from clang but I cannot yet say that it's an ideal marriage. Without the GNU binutils you cannot use AVX or newer intrinsics and I'm not convinced that using the GNU binutils would change that, or even work at all.)

>one other thing, craft wasn't able to checkout anything at first, until i

Does craft use the "kde:" shortcut internally?