Building RKWard on Mac (continued from private discussion)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 07:49:44 UTC 2017

On Friday June 09 2017 07:40:11 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
>On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 22:53:45 +0200

>René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also: in its default configuration the plugin is loaded only when
>> KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 in the environment, or when it is requested
>> explicitly via the aforementioned QT_QPA...=kde trick. As long as
>> those aren't set, the plugin won't be loaded. This is one reason why
>> my KF5 ports all install wrapper scripts in /opt/local/bin, but you
>> can also replace the bundle exec with a script that sets the
>> appropriate env. variables before calling the actual executable.
>
>Ah, that's the part I had been missing. So, without that wrapper (or
>manual user config), kf5-osx-integration simply does nothing, right?

Yes and no. First, you can set the env. variable(s) globally, even such that they apply to applications launched via the Finder. Then you don't need wrappers anymore. But yes, without them the platform theme plugin from kf5-osx-integration will not be loaded unless you build it to override the standard Cocoa plugin.

Also, with the latest changes I pushed to the repo it shouldn't have any noticeable effect on "pure Qt" ports as long as you don't have a kdeglobals file that redefines things.

>And you're already adding the wrapper for all KF5-ports.

True, but only for starting them from the commandline.

>Then, why not just make all ports of kf5 applications depend on it, and
>get sane behavior out of the box, without pushing the responsiblity to
>read up on all this to the user?

I find it's still a bit early for that without having more feedback from the field.
The problem is also that both the Applications and Plasma categories contain applications and libraries. Setting a platform theme plugin as a dependency for a library feels a bit unelegant, and I don't really want to have to remember declaring it manually either :)

>Sure, I suppose a select few KF5-applications may want to play
>different on Mac, but then _those_ would be special cased, while all

What do you have in mind?