Mac: a bit of 10.9 love

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 13:18:45 UTC 2017

Mac OS X 10.9 and/or KDE/Mac users, greetings! :)

This has already come up here and there in bits and pieces, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to repeat it once more concisely:

Qt 5.9 dropped support for Mac OS X 10.9 . I won't dispute that, but I do regret it. Since I had already split off the 5.8 Mac widget style and Cocoa QPA plugins for standalone building I did the same with their 5.9 versions, reintroducing 10.9-specific code where required. The resulting code is in the qt590 branch at

http://github.com/RJVB/osx-integration

and builds against Qt 5.8 and 5.9.1 . I've tested the plugins quite thoroughly in everyday use with my 5.8.0 MacPorts-style Qt build; built against "stock" Qt 5.9.1 they at least allow me to run the shipped binaries (Assistant c.s.).

The initial goal for creating standalone versions of these plugins was to make my patches to them easily available to a wider audience without having to "upstream them" first. Please do let me know if any of those changes cause issues.

KDE/Mac users might also be interested in the KDE platform theme plugin also contained in the above repository (and which gave the repo its name). It's a dedicated Mac version of the Plasma Integration plugin. It defines appropriate defaults for the font and colour palettes, as well as an appropriate XDG icon theme (not included) which should improve the look and feel of KDE applications on Mac. Those settings can of course be customised and one can also define a non-standard widget style as the default, in case you prefer a homogeneous cross-platform appearance.

Hope this is of interest to at least some of you,